- Call OPD’s anonymous toll-free tip hotline: (855) TIPS-247 (855-847-7247)
- Text TIP OAKLANDPD to 888777 from your text-enabled cell phone
- Go to www.bit.ly/PFxk7D to anonymously submit photos of illegal activity using the online submission form
- From a landline: call 911
- From a cell phone: call (510) 777-3211 (pre-program this number now so it is handy in an emergency)
- Website: www.oaklandnet.com
- Subscribe to Email or Text Alerts
Enter your email address in the “Email Updates” section on the City’s home page, www.oaklandnet.com. To receive wireless alerts via mobile phone, check the “Send Wireless Alerts to this address” box.
- Public Safety Notifications
Receive notifications from OPD through text/SMS, mobile applications, email and Internet posts. Sign up at www.nixle.com.
For general City of Oakland news, follow @CityofOaklandCA.
For public safety news, follow OPD @oaklandpoliceca.
- Business Support
Contact the City of Oakland’s Business Assistance Center at (510) 238-7952 or visit www.OaklandBAC.com.
- Telephone: call (510) 444-CITY for information and/or recorded updates.
- Transit Updates
Visit www.511.org or call 511 for up-to-date traffic and transit information.
For BART information, call (510) 465-2278 or visit www.bart.gov. Sign up for mobile service alerts at www.bart.gov/news/alerts.
- Stay tuned to local TV and radio stations for information.
- If possible, park your car in a secure, off-street location.
- Remove or secure trash receptacles.
- Be sure your business is well lit. Good lighting increases visibility—and also increases the effectiveness of any closed circuit TV system.
- If you have a closed circuit TV system, be sure it is in good working order and is turned on. Save recordings of documented criminal activity.
- Make sure your building has good quality locks on the doors and windows. Deadbolt locks are a must for exterior doors.
- All exterior doors with a gap should be covered with a steel plate to prevent the door from being pried open
- Leave the cash drawer empty and open after business hours.