|ALL NATIONAL PARKS CLOSED FOR YOUR SAFETY|
DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR CONTINGENCY PLAN ONE PAGE SUMMARY
As stated in its original authorizing legislation, the National Park Service mission is to “preserve unimpaired the natural and cultural resources and values of the national park system for the enjoyment, education, and inspiration of this and future generations.”
The National Park Service manages over 84 million acres in all 50 States and Territories in 401 park units that preserve, protect, and share the history of this land and its people. Nearly 287 million people visited the national parks in 2012 and NPS works to provide visitor services in partnership with over 250,000 volunteers.
Services and programs that will remain operational.
• Law enforcement including the U.S. Park Police and emergency and disaster assistance.
• Firefighting and monitoring.
• Border and coastal protection and surveillance.
• Limited management of ongoing projects that are funded from non-lapsing appropriations.
• Access to through roads.
Services and programs that will be ceased.
• All national parks will be closed and secured.
• Visitor centers and other facilities will be closed.
• Education programs and special events will be canceled.
• Permits for special events will be rescinded.
• Guests staying in hotels and campgrounds will be notified of the closure and given 48 hours to make
alternate arrangements and leave the park.
Information on the Department's preparation of contingency plans for a possible government shutdown in October, 2013
- Congressional Research Service Report on Shutdown Planning
- OMB Circular A-11, Preparation, Submission and Execution of the Budget (July 2013)
- Departmental Contingency Plan
- Assistant Secretary for Indian Affairs
- Bureau of Indian Affairs
- Bureau of Indian Education
- Bureau of Land Management
- Bureau of Ocean Energy Management
- Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement
- Bureau of Reclamation
- Fish and Wildlife Service
- National Park Service
- Office of the Inspector General
- Office of Insular Affairs
- Office of the Secretary
- Office of the Solicitor
- Office of the Special Trustee
- Office of Surface Mining
- US Geological Survey