|Ponderosa Fire Location, Perimeter and Hot-Spot Map|
- 50 structures confirmed destroyed.
- 200 homes still threatened.
- Highway 44 will be opened today.
- Evacuation warnings have been issued for Highway 36 from Ponderosa Sky Ranch to Lassen Lodge and Mineral communities.
- Hard closure remains on Forward Road at Manton Corners and Wilson Hill Road at Digger Creek.
Date/Time Started: August 18, 2012 11:37 am
Administrative Unit: CAL FIRE Tehama-Glenn Unit
County: Tehama / Shasta Counties
Location: Off Ponderosa Way, southeast of Manton
Acres Burned: 24,323 acres
Containment 24,323 acres - 50% contained
Structures Destroyed: 50 structures destroyed
Threatened: 200 residences, 10 commercial properties and 30 outbuildings remain threatened.
Cooperating Agencies: CAL FIRE, Tehama and Shasta County Sheriff, CHP, CDCR, CAL TRANS, SPI, PG&E
Total Fire Personnel: 2,134 (911 CAL FIRE)
Engines: 278 (73 CAL FIRE)
Fire crews: 38 (26 CAL FIRE)
Dozers: 53 (21 CAL FIRE)
Water tenders: 39
Conditions: The fire is burning in an East and Northeast direction in the Battle Creek drainage, extending into the Blue Ridge area. Water supply infrastructure for the community of Manton was damaged. Resources are still being ordered to strengthen fire efforts. Steep and rugged terrain is making access difficult for fire crews. Firefighters are working aggressively to build approximately 11 miles of line and strengthen existing containment lines. Structures damaged or destroyed continue to be assessed. As additional resources arrive, firefighters will continue to diligently defend structures, construct containment lines and build bulldozer perimeter lines.
Fire Information Phone Number: (530) 225-2510
Ponderosa Evacuation Information
The Red Cross has opened up an Evacuation Shelter at Big League Dreams - 20155 Viking Way - Redding.
Evacuations: Evacuations for the following areas in Manton, Shingletown & Viola:
- Canyon View Loop north of Hwy 36.
- Forward Rd at Graham to the C Line
- Forward Mill Rd from Rock Creek Rd to Forward Camp Rd
- Rock Creek Rd from Manton Rd to Long Hay Flat Rd
- All of Long Hay Flat Rd and Woodcutter Way
- Southside of Highway 44 from Viola to Brush Oak
- Northside of Hwy 44 from Viola to Alward
- Hazen Rd area and South Power House Rd south of Manton
- Hwy 44 at Brush Oak east to and including Viola, Plateau Pines, Starlight Pines and Lake McCumber area
- South side of Hwy 44 from Viola to Brush Oak and on the north side of Hwy 44 from Viola to Alward.
Evacuation warnings have been issued for Hwy 36 from Ponderosa Sky Ranch to Lassen Lodge communities.
An Evacuation Warning was issued to the residents in the area of Hwy 36 at Oasis Springs Road to Lassen Lodge on both sides of the Highway, which includes Ponderosa Sky Ranch and Lassen Lodge of potential threat to life and property.
Expanded evacuation warning is being issued for the areas on Hwy 36 from Lassen Lodge east to, and including, the community of Mineral. These warnings are being initiated due to the eastward spread of the fire in the Battle Creek drainage. An evacuation warning considers the probability that an area will be affected and prepares people for a potential evacuation order.
Traffic on Highway 36 is intermittently impacted east of Paynes Creek to Ponderosa Way due to fire suppression operations. Please use caution while driving in this area.
Fire Information personnel are available in the community of Mineral to answer any questions citizens may have about the fire.
- Highway 44 from Brush Oak to Viola; Forward Road at Manton Corners and Wilson Hill Road at Digger Creek.
- Forward Road is now open from Manton Road to Yuen-Veritas Lane.
- Forward Road residence previously evacuated west of Yuen-Veritas Lane, are being allowed to return to their homes.
Manton School, Black Butte School in Shingletown, and Plum Valley Elementary School in Paynes Creek have been closed until further notice.