- Date/Time Started: 09/08/2011 @ 1530 hours
- Incident Command: San Diego County EOC is open, Riverside County EOC has opened in both City of Riverside and City of Indio
RRU/RVC Fire has established an ICP at Station 87 (North Indio).
- County: San Diego, Imperial, Southern Orange and Eastern Coachella Valley in Riverside County.
- Location: Several Jurisdictions
- Conditions: Outages appear to be affecting utility providers including SDGE and Imperial Irrigation District. Reported Outages stretch six counties in Southwestern Arizona to include as far east as Grand Junction in Colorado, and portions of Northern Mexico (Mexicali and Ensenada). Orange County Cities impacted are Mission Viejo, San Clemente, San Juan Capistrano, Laguna Hills, Dana Point, Coto de Caza and parts of Laguna Niguel.
San Bernardino County and Western Riverside County is unaffected
- Special Hazards: San Onfre has scrammed two reactors.
MVU ECC is on backup power. Cal FIRE stations in MVU are on backup power.
RVC stations in Eastern Coachella Valley to Blythe are back up power.
- Closures: FAA also reports that there is no passenger movement at San Diego International Airport due to power outage in the terminals, and that other FAA facilities are on back-up power.
- Cause: Duration and cause of power outage is unknown; sourced to a transmission outage in Western Arizona.
- Cooperating Agencies:
- Weather Info: Weather in Mecca is 114 °, 9% RH, winds calm El Centro is 113 °, 10% RH, winds N @ 9 mphMexicali weather is 113 °, 13% RH, WNW @ 6 with gust 19 mph
Thursday, September 8, 2011
Power Disruption impacting in Portions of Southern California / Arizona #CaBlackout
Power outage impacting the following counties of San Diego, Imperial, Southern Orange and Eastern Coachella Valley in Riverside County.
Riverside Red Cross opening Cooling centers in Western Coachella Valley cities and providing transportation to centers.
Incident Name/Type: Large Scale Multi-state electrical Power Outage, Outages appear to be affecting utility providers including SDGE and Imperial Irrigation District.
Notes: MVU ECC 9-1-1 lines were temporarily impacted with no loss of calls.
Mt. Woodson and Red Mt. repeater sites are on battery. All other sites are on generator. The seven digit emergency lines remained intact (MVIC and CNF ECC) have confirmed 9-1-1 service has been restored,
RRU/RVC 9-1-1 system is functions. Cell phone networks are overwhelmed.
****REMINDER**** Every fire has the ability to be catastrophic. The wildland fire management environment has profoundly changed. Growing numbers of communities, across the nation, are experiencing longer fire seasons; more frequent, bigger, and more severe, fires are a real threat. Be careful with all campfires and equipment.
View blog top tags
View blog top tags
CLICK HERE TO GO BACK TO TOP OF CALIFORNIA FIRE NEWS HOME PAGE