The Los Angeles Harbor Youth Fire Academy will run from March 21 through at Drill Tower 40 in San Pedro. There are 9 local high schools that will be participating in this year’s Fire Academy: Academy Medical Arts, Academy of Educational Empowerment, Banning High School, Carson High School, Harbor Teacher Preparatory, Mary Star High School, Narbonne High School, Rancho Dominquez Preparatory High School, and San Pedro High School. Each student has filled out an application and was hand selected by a counselor. There are over 75 Cadets participating in the Spring 2015 program.
- To provide students with a career objective, motivating them to complete and excel in high school and continue on to college.
- To offer a standard curriculum related to a career as a firefighter.
- To provide classes based upon the LAFD firefighter-training program.
- To offer students support for success by including faculty from their high schools to serve as trainers and facilitators.
- To maintain a 50/50 ratio of boys to girls to meet LAFD recruitment goals.
- The importance of staying in school and continuing on in their education.
- The real meaning of teamwork and becoming a role model for others.
- About city government and the chain-of-command in the fire department.
- The skills and tools used by the fire department and the importance of a
- Firefighter being fit and strong in mind and body.
- Motivation and perseverance when challenged physically and mentally and
The following are support affiliations that have helped to expand the F.I.R.E. Academy efforts
- (Fire Academy Support Team (FAST) Foundation – This board has been in existence for the last four years and recently secured non-profit status from the IRS. Their purpose has been to fund the academy through grants and fundraising efforts.
- Honda Motor Corporation Foundation – Over the past several years this foundation has provided the FIRE Academy with $125,000 in funding.
- Los Angeles Fire Foundation – has secured a grant from Motorola, Inc for $60,000 to support the logistical needs of the programs.
- United Teachers of Los Angeles – because our program works with fully credentialed teachers and counselors from LAUSD we have gained the full support of their union and look forward to their continued support of our students and staff.