The Powerhouse Fire has grown to more than 19,000 acres. The communities of Lake Hughes and Elizabeth Lake were evacuated and firefighters continued to battle the blaze through the night concentrating on defending as many structures as possible in these and other areas.
The Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department has deployed over 130 sheriff's deputies, dedicated to this operation, these include:
* Eight Sheriff's Response Teams are deployed in the affected areas. Each team consists of eleven deputies and one sergeant. Response Teams are protecting the property of those areas already evacuated and are poised to assist with evacuating additional areas the fire may threaten.
* More than 30 additional sheriff's deputies are working at road closures, at the command post to coordinate deputies efforts and teamwork with firefighters, Sheriff's Air Rescue 5 helicopter and crew, and Sheriff's Search & Rescue Teams and Emergency Medical Technicians.
The following Evacuations and Road Closures are currently in effect
- The Lake Hughes Community is under mandatory evacuation.
- Cottonwood Campground has been completely evacuated.
- The Lake Elizabeth community is under voluntary evacuation.
- The residential area at the intersection of Munz Ranch Road and the California Aquaduct is under voluntary evacuation.
- All residents north of South Portal and west of San Francisquito Canyon Road are asked to evacuate.
- Probation Camps John Munz and William Mendenhall (approximately 140 juveniles), have been evacuated to Barry J Nidorf Juvenile Hall in Sylmar.
(EMS Personnel Only)
• West of Bouquet Canyon on Elizabeth Lake Road to Lake Hughes Road • Johnson Road to Elizabeth Lake Road
• Munz Ranch Road to Elizabeth Lake Road
• Lake Hughes road has been closed from Elizabeth Lake road to Lake Castaic
• San Francisquito Canyon road is closed above the Power House and below Green Valley
(Residents and EMS Personnel Only)
• San Francisquito Canyon Road at Copper Hill • Bouquet Canyon Road, Spunky Canyon and Vasquez Canyon Road
The California Highway Patrol is allowing limited resident traffic only at San Francisquito Rd and Elizabeth Lake Rd
Hikers Hikers on the Pacific Crest Trail are being redirected from the trail at Bouquet Canyon Road and routed north outside of the Forest boundary along the California Aqueduct trail. Hiking Plan: http://nixle.com/alert/4983133/
A Red Cross shelter has been set up at Marie Kerr Park in Palmdale: 626-536-1152, 661-433-9710.
Information Powerhouse Fire Information will be provided to the media during a daily press conferences beginning this afternoon at 4:00 pm at the Incident Command Post/Base Camp, Pelona Vista Park, 37700 Tierra Subida Ave, Palmdale, CA 93550.