Tuesday, June 18, 2013

#CarstensFire: Double Rainbow Guy Standing His Ground Against #Yosemite wildfire #Wildlandfire #CaFire

Carstens Fire: Double Rainbow Guy stands his ground against Yosemite wildfire
Carstens Fire Yosemite Bear View - Double Rainbow Guy standing his ground against Yosemite Carstens wildfire



The Double Rainbow Guy has a new sight to behold— and it's a lot more deadly than a double rainbow.

Paul "Bear" Vasquez first noticed the wildfires making their way through central California and Yosemite National Park on Sunday—part of what's feared to be the worst season in a century. He had been talking on the phone with a CNN reporter, but he immediately grabbed his camera and started filming.
From the very first shot, Bear’s live report has the look and feel of the "Double Rainbow" video. He zooms in and out on the fire and stack of smoke and expresses his amazement at the height and amount of destruction the flames are causing to the forest.
Vasquez had been ordered to evacuate his home, but he refused. He told the CNN reporter that he'd been planning for a major fire for decades and he knew what he was doing. 
"All the people who live here ran away like chickens," he wrote. "Ha. I fear nothing. I see it all as exciting, interesting and amazing!"
As a fire science major and firefighter for many years, Bear has experience dealing with fires. He also has a 2,500 gallon water tank and water hose streams from his well and hot tub on the property, so if the fire reaches his property, he may be able to hold back the flames until the firefighters arrive.
However, he does know his limits.
"I intend to stay here and protect my fruit trees and my house and all that," Vasquez said. "If it looks like it's gonna kill me, I have an evacuation plan. I have a 4-wheel drive vehicle setup that I'm gonna just drive it outta here. I'll throw my dogs in the car and take off. But yeah, so I'm not gonna risk my life, you know, for things, but I think I can handle it and I know my boundaries."
Photo via Yosemite Bear/Facebook
Original source: http://www.dailydot.com/news/double-rainbow-guy-yosemite-wildfire-video/
---------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment

CAL FIRE NEWS LOVES COMMENTS...
- Due to rampant abuse, we are no longer posting anonymous comments. Please use your real OpenID, Google, Yahoo, AIM, Twitter, Flickr name.


Twitter Buttons

****REMINDER**** Every fire has the ability to be catastrophic. The wildland fire management environment has profoundly changed. Growing numbers of communities, across the nation, are experiencing longer fire seasons; more frequent, bigger, and more severe, fires are a real threat. Be careful with all campfires and equipment.

"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer." --Abraham Lincoln

View blog top tags
---------------------
CLICK HERE TO GO BACK TO TOP OF CALIFORNIA FIRE NEWS HOME PAGE

Subscribe via email to California Fire News - Keep track of Cal Fire News

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner