The Long Beach Fire Department responded to a hazardous materials incident just before 5 a.m. this morning at a cold storage facility in the 600 block of W. Anaheim Street. Upon arrival firefighters encountered a strong odor of ammonia. At that time a perimeter was established and the department’s Hazardous Materials Team was requested to respond to the scene. A four block perimeter was established; however, no evacuations were necessary.
The Hazardous Materials Team made entry into the facility and shut off the main valves to the ammonia system. A leak was discovered coming from a diffuser tank, the team plugged the leak and contained the 100-200 gallons of liquid that had leaked from the tank. The Hazardous Materials Team also monitored the air with special equipment to ensure public safety. The company is working with various City departments to mitigate the clean up.
Source LBFD Blog: LBFD Haz Mat Incident