Friday, November 16, 2012

Myth vs. Fact About Registering For #FEMA #Sandy Aid


MYTH: I've already cleaned up the damage to my home and had the repairs made. Isn’t it too late to register once the work is done?

FACT: You may be eligible for reimbursement of your clean up and repair costs, even if repairs are complete.

MYTH: I'm a renter. I thought FEMA assistance was only for homeowners for home repairs.

FACT: FEMA assistance is not just for homeowners. FEMA may provide assistance to help renters who lost personal property or who were displaced.

MYTH: FEMA assistance could affect my Social Security benefits, taxes, food stamps or Medicaid.

FACT: FEMA assistance does not affect benefits from other federal programs and is not considered taxable income.

MYTH: My insurance agent told me I could not get help from FEMA because I have flood insurance.

FACT: Even if you have flood insurance you should register. FEMA may be able to help with uninsured costs.

MYTH: I heard registration involves a lot of red tape and paperwork.

FACT: There is no paperwork to register with FEMA. The process is very easy and normally takes between 15 and 20 minutes.

MYTH: I believe FEMA only makes loans so I didn’t apply for help because I don’t want a loan.

FACT: FEMA only provides grants. The grants may cover expenses for temporary housing, home repairs, replacement of damaged personal property and other disaster-related needs such as medical, dental or transportation costs not covered by insurance or other programs. They don’t have to be repaid.

The U.S. Small Business Administration provides low-interest disaster loans to renters, homeowners and businesses of all sizes. Some applicants may receive an SBA loan application after registering with FEMA. No one is obligated to take out a loan, but if they don’t complete the application they may not be considered for other federal grant programs.

MYTH: Since I received disaster assistance last year, I’m sure I can’t get it again this year.

FACT: Assistance may be available if you suffered damages from a new federally declared disaster.

MYTH: My income is probably too high for me to qualify for disaster assistance.

FACT: Income is not a consideration for FEMA assistance. FEMA grants may cover uninsured losses.

MYTH: I don’t want to apply for help because others had more damage than I had; they need the help more than me.

FACT: FEMA has enough funding to assist all eligible survivors with their disaster related needs.

FEMA's mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

Follow FEMA online at www.fema.gov/blog, www.twitter.com/fema, www.facebook.com/fema, and www.youtube.com/fema. Also, follow Administrator Craig Fugate's activities at www.twitter.com/craigatfema.
The social media links provided are for reference only. FEMA does not endorse any non-government websites, companies or applications.

No comments:

Post a Comment

CAL FIRE NEWS LOVES COMMENTS...
- Due to rampant abuse, we are no longer posting anonymous comments. Please use your real OpenID, Google, Yahoo, AIM, Twitter, Flickr name.


Twitter Buttons

****REMINDER**** Every fire has the ability to be catastrophic. The wildland fire management environment has profoundly changed. Growing numbers of communities, across the nation, are experiencing longer fire seasons; more frequent, bigger, and more severe, fires are a real threat. Be careful with all campfires and equipment.

"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer." --Abraham Lincoln

View blog top tags
---------------------
CLICK HERE TO GO BACK TO TOP OF CALIFORNIA FIRE NEWS HOME PAGE

Subscribe via email to California Fire News - Keep track of Cal Fire News

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner