Focus on Fire Safety: Grilling and Campfires
Safety Tips for Grilling and Campfires
- Position the grill well away from siding, deck railing, and out from under eaves and overhanging branches.
- Keep children and pets from the grill area: declare a three-foot "safe zone" around the grill.
- If you own a propane grill, check the cylinder hose for leaks before using it for the first time each year. A light soap and water solution applied to the hose will reveal escaping propane quickly by releasing bubbles.
- Avoid using soft wood, such as pine or cedar that will likely pop and throw sparks, in a fire pit. Use of seasoned hardwood is suggested.
- Don’t build a campfire at a site in hazardous, dry conditions or if the campground, area, or event rules prohibit campfires.