Firefighter I - Seasonal A Firefighter I is a seasonal, temporary classification used by the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (CAL FIRE). Currently, Firefighter I positions are at nine State Fire Stations in Riverside County and serveral County funded stations. (Firefighter I positions at County-funded station will be completely upgraded to permanent Firefighter II positions by 2006) Firefighter I hiring in Riverside usually occurs each April, May, or June, depending upon the upcoming fire season conditions.
The minimum qualification to participate in the Fire Fighter I Examination is that you must be 18 years of age at the time of appointment to a Firefighter I position.
You must file a Fire Fighter I application at CAL FIRE/Riverside County Fire Department headquarters located at 210 West San Jacinto Avenue, in Perris to be considered for appointment. The filing period for each fire season is the first business day of November through the last business day of January.
- Documentation of 3 months of full time fire fighting experience
- Documentation of 1 year as a certified volunteer fire fighter
- Documentation of Completion of a Fire Academy (200-300 hrs)
- Documentation of 1 year as a Fire Prevention Specialist I and successful completion of the mandatory training courses prescribed for a CDF FFI.
- Valid California paramedic license
- You will need a valid driver’s license prior to appointment
- You must be at least 18 years of age
Note For Career Professional Firefighter Positions: CAL FIRE has an open continuous application process for FFII/Paramedic and FAE/Paramedic. Testing currently occurs twice annually, once the applicants minimum qualifications are verified, the candidate will be notified of the next available testing dates. Candidates must participate in the testing process to be considered for employment. Candidates will only permitted to test once every 12 months.
Click here if you are interested in a rewarding career opportunity as a dispatcher for CAL FIRE/Riverside County Fire Department.