Twitter Buttons

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

ALCO: Firefighter heat exhaustion during garage fire & tortoise rescue

CASTRO VALLEY, Calif. — A firefighter went to the hospital for heat exhaustion from an early-morning fire today that burned a garage housing tortoises, which escaped slowly but surely, the Alameda County Fire Department said.

The single-alarm fire was reported at 3 a.m. at a detached garage in the 17400 block of Almond Road.

It was extinguished within 10 minutes. A firefighter was treated for heat exhaustion but was not seriously injured and was expected to be treated and released, officials said.

No one was occupying the garage when it caught fire, and the two African tortoises inside got out safely, the fire department said. It appears that a heating pad used to warm the animals and an extension cord that funneled power to the garage are the likely culprits for the fire, which caused about $50,000 in damage.


Source: The Contra Costa Times - By Robert Salonga - Link
-

Twitter links

-
****REMINDER**** Every fire has the ability to be catastrophic. The wildland fire management environment has profoundly changed. Growing numbers of communities, across the nation, are experiencing longer fire seasons; more frequent, bigger, and more severe, fires are a real threat. Be careful with all campfires and equipment.
View blog top tags
---------------------
CLICK HERE TO GO BACK TO TOP OF CALIFORNIA FIRE NEWS HOME PAGE