UPDATE 0630 1-21: 65% Contained. Estimating full containment by tonight.
UPDATE 1530 1-20: Washoe Fire is currently at 65% containment, Cause was improperly discarded fireplace ashes. Responsible resident came forward. 24 homes destroyed.
UPDATE 0700 1-20: 1 confirmed dead in residential area.
UPDATE 0600 1-20: 3,766 acres, 10K+ evacuated, Reno Fire Chief reports that forward progress on this fire has been halted. Fire behavior is moderating overnight due to diminishing winds, lowering termperatures and increasing humidity/moisture moving over the Sierra Nevada/Carson Range.
UPDATE 1800 1-19: Washam's Type 3 IMT being mobilized for the Washoe Fire. Washoe County has declared a state of emergency as a wildfire has sparked South of Reno. Sierra Front says it is burning in Washoe Valley. NV Energy says 224 customers who live along U.S. 395 in the area of Andrew Lane and Ames Lane have power once again. Officials say 2,022 customers are still without power.
|WASHOE DRIVE WILDFIRE PERIMETER MAP|
- Date/Time Started: 01/19/2012 - 12:45 p.m
- Administrative Unit: Unified command with Reno Fire, Sierra Fire Protection District, US Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management & Nevada Division of Forestry
- Incident Command: Reno FD is the primary agency, Incident Command Post is at Depoali Middle School.
- County: Washoe
- Location: Washoe City to Pleasant Valley on both sides of U.S. 395; 10 miles south of Reno (Lat. 39 19 33 Long. 119 48 31)
- Fire Map: http://www.washoecounty.us/repository/files/1/washoe_dr_fire_1920.pdf
- Acres Burned: 3700+
- ROS: Fast
- Fuels: Brush & grass
- Conditions: Reno Fire Chief reports that forward progress on this fire has been halted. Fire behavior is moderating overnight due to diminishing winds, lowering termperatures and increasing humidity/moisture moving over the Sierra Nevada/Carson Range.
- Structure Threats:
- Special Hazards:
- Evacuations: American Red Cross has set up an evacuation center at Damonte Ranch High School, 10500 Rio Wrangler Parkway in Reno. Small animals can be evacuated to Damonte High School. Large animals can be evacuated to Reno Livestock Events Center. Evacuation information inside the 775 area code call 211. Outside the area call 775-337-5800.
- Road Closures: U.S. Highway-395 remains closed between Eastlake Blvd., to the Junction of SR 341/431 (Mt. Rose Junction) in south Reno. U.S. Highway 395 will remain closed until further notice - please make alternate plans.
- Cooperating Agencies: CAL FIRE, Lyon County, Tahoe-Douglas, Mineral County, Storey County, Carson City Fire, East Fork FPD, North Lyon County Fire, Washoe County Sheriff's Dept., Nevada Highway Patrol, Nevada Army National Guard, NV Energy, Federal Emergency Management Agency.
- Resources: Water Tenders 6, Dozers 2, Hand Crews 6, Engines 39, Command Staff 50, Personnel 336
- Air Resources:
- Injuries: None reported
- Weather Info: High winds now moderating
- RR Link:
- Agency Link: http://sierrafront.net/press/news%20releases.htm