Sacramento – Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger has declared May 2-8 Wildfire Awareness
Week to remind Californians to be prepared for wildfires and vigilant as the state approaches
peak fire season.
CAL FIRE will also be using the week to highlight the importance of the homeowner’s role in preparing their property and families ahead of time to survive a wildfire.
This year’s Wildfire Awareness Week theme is based on the nationwide fire preparedness
campaign “Ready, Set, Go”. The slogan “Wildfire is coming... Is your home ready?” focuses on
the role homeowners have in being ready for a wildfire.
To assist homeowner’s preparation for wildfires, CAL FIRE plans to launch a new website
during Wildfire Awareness Week, which provides residents the steps to make their home more
resistant to wildfires and to ensure that their family is ready to evacuate early and safely when wildfire strikes
The website is www.ReadyForWildfire.org.
“The first week in May is recognized as Wildfire Awareness Week, but residents need to be
aware of the threat wildfire poses every day,” said Chief Del Walters, CAL FIRE director.
“Wildfires have occurred at all times of year in our state, but wildfire activity historically
increases from spring through late fall, threatening lives, property and the environment.
We are taking this week to heighten the public’s awareness about the steps they should take to prepare
their homes and families for California’s inevitable wildfires.”
CAL FIRE will use Wildfire Awareness Week as an opportunity to answer questions about fire
safety and how to be better prepared in an emergency situation.
Wildfire Awareness Week schedule:
- Monday, May 3: Press Conference, CAL FIRE Aviation Headquarters, Sacramento at 1 p.m.
- Tuesday, May 4: Press Conference, Crafton Hills area, Yucaipa at 10:30 a.m.
- Wednesday, May 5: Press Conference, CAL FIRE Fresno Headquarters at 11 a.m.
- Wednesday, May 5: Media Availability, CAL FIRE Redding Air Attack base at 8 a.m.
- Thursday, May 6: Press Conference, San Mateo County at 11 a.m.
- Thurs, May 6: Media Availability, Fire Crew Preparedness Exercises, Paynes Creek, 11 a.m.