Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Firefighter breaks Firefighters fall through floor


Credit: Peter Brueggeman
SAN DIEGO – A fire that may have been ignited by a discarded cigarette Monday night caused $200,000 in damage to a La Jolla Village condominium, officials said.

The blaze broke out about 11:28 p.m. at the complex on Via Mallorca near Caminito Eastbluff and was knocked down by 11:50 p.m.

Two firefighters suffered minor to moderate injuries when a balcony floor collapsed. They were treated at a hospital and released.

Fire spokesman Maurice Luque said one firefighter fell when the floor collapsed and the second one on the balcony below was also hurt.

“He fell through the floor. As he fell to the (lower) level, a firefighter there was injured trying to break his fall,” Luque said.

Five units were damaged in the blaze, with one unit heavily damaged by fire, Luque said. At least ten people were displaced.

The fire caused $150,000 in damage to the structure and $50,000 damage to the contents.

Luque said investigators believe the fire was started by smoking material, but it still remains under investigation. It also is unclear where exactly the fire started, he said.

Source: SignOnSanDiego

No comments:

Post a Comment

CAL FIRE NEWS LOVES COMMENTS...
- Due to rampant abuse, we are no longer posting anonymous comments. Please use your real OpenID, Google, Yahoo, AIM, Twitter, Flickr name.


Twitter Buttons

Twitter links

-
****REMINDER**** Every fire has the ability to be catastrophic. The wildland fire management environment has profoundly changed. Growing numbers of communities, across the nation, are experiencing longer fire seasons; more frequent, bigger, and more severe, fires are a real threat. Be careful with all campfires and equipment.
View blog top tags
---------------------
CLICK HERE TO GO BACK TO TOP OF CALIFORNIA FIRE NEWS HOME PAGE